The vegetable garden. A very essential part of living at StarrHill Farm. Well, an increasingly essential aspect. It’s not been so much in past years.
But things are changing. As they always are.
Sometime last year, I had a new vision – almost a an epiphany, a land-use epiphany. One that ties together an entire food-producing garden into three essential, interlinked components, all located in one corner of the property. One that will tie the formality of the courtyard to the informality of the as-yet-only-in-my head Forest Garden.
I immediately set to my favorite gardening task – imagineering, and assessed, of what structure and form already existed, would translate into the new vision. I gave a critical eye to elements that seemed in the way, and calculated how to either move them or remove them, to make this new vision work. A project began to shape in my head. What I could do now, what I could work toward in the next one, two three years, and what I needed to allow for for the next 40+ years.
So I’ve plans in my head, and hopefully I can get them out onto paper, and realized on the land itself. Mike said that if I do up some graph paper sketches, he’ll scan them for me, so I plan to do that today.
Last weekend saw me complete a first step, or rather a first, intermediary step. I’ve planted poles and strung deer fencing around a small perimeter. This fence encloses anything growing right now, protecting it from ungulatory ravages, and defines an area I can work in for the next year or two. It leaves plenty of space to continue felling trees, tho there aren’t that many left to go.
Above is a view of the courtyard to the left, in which Mike has been very busy, and the vegetable garden to the right. Mike pasted together a series of photos taken from the roof of the garage after a day of being productive.
Thursday evening, days after this photo was taken, we came home from work to find part of the fence down – poles I had used to visually deter the deer from blazing thru the fence, had themselves fallen thru the fence during 40-50mph winds that tore thru the area. I repaired it, and reinforced it, with plain old kitchen twine. It’s ugly, but doing the job. The fence is now a little sturdier against the wind and flying branches, and the deer can see it much better.
Today, I intend to wait out the rain thru the morning, but once it dries out a bit, I’ll be tearing apart my remaining 16″-high raised bed, converting it like I did the other one, into two 8″ high raised beds. I’ll place these in the fenced off area along side the other two. Once I get some soil in them, I should have plenty of growing space for a while.